Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Taco Chicken Chili



I seriously love my slow cooker.  It's so easy and I'm certain that it makes everything taste better.  Chili is one of my favorite things to eat and this recipe is especially delicious and easy.  It's in pretty heavy rotation here.  With the colder weather arriving, I have a feeling I will be making it more often!  What I love about this dish is that you can switch up ingredients and just use what you have on hand.  I can't remember where I first found this recipe, but it's originally from Skinny Taste.  If you haven't been to this site, you're missing out!  Gina posts delicious healthy recipes and she includes the Weight Watchers points for those of you who are counting.  I've tried quite a few of her recipes and have never been disappointed.  Enough babbling already!!  Find the original recipe here.  This is my adaptation-

  • 3 large chicken breasts
  • 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 can of kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 bag of frozen corn (or you can use a can of corn, drained)
  • 1 chopped onion (I often use half a bag of frozen chopped onions) 
  • 2 large cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • chili powder (I'll be honest, I don't ever actually measure this!)
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • your favorite chili toppings (I prefer sour cream and shredded cheese!)
I think the original directions say to put the chicken on top of everything else, but I usually put it in first and then dump everything else on top of it.  I cook the whole thing on low for about 10 hours, but you could cook it on high for probably about 5 or 6 hours.  I then remove the chicken, shred it with a fork and knife, and then mix it back into the remaining ingredients.  Easy, right?  This makes a pretty big portion of food and it tastes just as good reheated.  Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment