Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Latest Thrift Find

A few days ago, a coworker and I were driving to lunch when I caught a glance of some doll furniture.  It looked like a dining set.  It's not something I collect, but it was Blythe sized, and the pieces I spotted were pink and turquoise, two of my favorite color combinations.  When I got back to the office, it was all I could think about!  I drove to the place immediately after work.  It was just a little place that didn't look to promising, although it does happen to be a snow cone stand and flea market combined.  That makes it sound way better, doesn't it?  When I got to the front of the building, I didn't see the furniture, so I went in to look for it.  There was a cute older lady sitting behind a counter and I felt bad, because to enter the store I had to walk right in front of her, blocking her view of The People's Court on the big television on the wall.  I don't think she was too happy that I then interrupted her show by asking about doll furniture.  She pointed over to a sofa and there it was, an entire box of awesomeness.  I could make out that there was a kitchen in the box that looked so cool.  I didn't even look through the rest of the box, instead immediately carrying it to the counter hugging it like it was treasure.  Of course they only took cash, so I had to momentarily give it up to run to the nearest ATM.  I told the lady twice to hold that box for me.  I'm pretty sure no one else who would have been in that store would have cared, but you never know.  I sorted through the box as soon as I got in my car and was so damn excited that I had to call my grandma to tell her all about my find.  Now that I've built up the suspense, I suppose I should share my finds! 





So after doing some research online, I found out that this is a Deluxe Dream Kitchen from either 1961 or 1963.  It originally came with a ton of food and dishes, but all the main pieces are there.  The top pieces need to be glued back on to the sink and stove, but other than that, everything is in pretty good shape.  The coolest thing about this set is that the sink and dishwasher used to actually hold water and the stove lit up.  The fridge is my favorite.  The chrome handles are so fun!  The kitchen set alone is probably worth more than I paid for the box, but that wasn't the only thing in there.  Here are the other pieces that were included:



These are from a doll named Sindy, who was apparently really popular in the UK in the late 1960s.  The little couch is dated 1978.  I'm not crazy about the maroon color, but this furniture is still pretty cute!

There was also an extra stove included, but I haven't figured out any information about that.  I am so excited about my find!  I can't wait to clean and repair everything and display it all with my dollies!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This really was an amazing find!! I would have freaked out too. Can Blythe sit in the chairs or on the couch?

    ReplyDelete