Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cherry Clafouti

Today I'm sharing a really easy recipe for a French dessert called a clafouti.  It sort of reminds me of bread pudding.  I originally found this recipe in the book, You Can Trust A Skinny Cook, and she describes clafouti as a mix between a cake and a custard.  You can find the book here.

Cherry Clafouti

6 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whole milk (I used fat free this time)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract (I only had 1/2 Tbsp., so I made up the difference with almond extract)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 12oz. bag of frozen cherries, defrosted and at room temperature, or 1 large pint of fresh cherries
2 tsp. confectioner's sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a round cake pan or cast iron skillet with cooking spray.  I use a round glass baking dish and that works fine.  Spread the cherries on the bottom of the dish or skillet.

Don't mind the ice in the cherries.  I got impatient!


2. In a blender, combine the eggs, milk, granulated sugar , vanilla, and salt.  Blend to combine and then add the flour. Pulse to incorporate. Once the ingredients have all been mixed, pour the batter over the cherries.

  Notice the K-Cups in the background.  I bet this dessert goes well with coffee!

The batter probably looks purple, because I didn't do a great job of draining the juice from the cherries, but it's much prettier this way.
3. Place the whole thing in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes.  I had to bake this much longer than 40 minutes this time around.  I don't know if the milk affected the cook time or the oven wasn't actually preheated.  I ended up baking it for nearly 60 minutes until it was really brown on top and completely firm in the center.  Dust the clafouti with confectioner's sugar before serving.  If you're like me, though, you start picking at it right out of the oven and forget all about the confectioner's sugar! 
Yum!!





No comments:

Post a Comment