Wednesday, December 10, 2014

South of the Border

I've never minded the long drive to Florida, because there is always lots to look at and tons of places to stop along the way.  One of my favorite things about the drive has always been the attention-getting signs for South of the Border and,of course, the kitschy attraction itself.  Did you know this attraction actually got its start in 1949?!  I'm actually a bit surprised that in today's ultra politically correct society this place still survives.  Its mascot is Pedro, a quite stereotypical character, and there is everything from an ice cream parlor to a hotel on the property now.  I think what gets me is that the place hasn't really changed much since my childhood when my family stopped there on our way to Florida.  The boys enjoyed all the giant statues and ice cream, so it was well worth the stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment