Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Misadventures in Selling


So I know I mentioned previously that I was opening up shop.  Well, it's been interesting and definitely a learning experience!  Just a little over two weeks into it, I've had three broken items and one lost package.  It's discouraging, to say the least, but I am trying to stay positive!  On the bright side, a lot of items have made it to their new homes completely intact!  I don't know how long I will continue selling my thrifted items, because it is a bit stressful, but I did really enjoy selling some items I made last week.  I will most definitely be trying that again and have the pending orders of craft supplies to prove it!  I think the hardest part for me is the waiting.  I'm such an instant gratification kind of gal, so I want people to buy things right away!  What are your experiences with selling?  I've had great customers so far, met some new friends, and made a few dollars.  Not bad!

4 comments:

  1. I used to sell a lot - mostly paper items although I did sell a few dishes from time to time, the majority of my customers were US, it's just so expensive now to ship anything heavy from Canada now. I want to list a few things but I have been really lazy about it! It's nice to make a few extra dollars, I sold a scarf once for $75 and postcards for more than that - those were the days.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe the shipping prices to Canada! I actually had to say US only, because I was initially including shipping in my prices. Those sound like some good sales you had!

      Delete
  2. I don't really sell breakable stuff but my grandma does and she hasn't had issues. What she does is wraps the item twice in bubble wrap and then fills the box with peanuts and makes sure there's ample space (She does 2") on all directions. I hope these tips can help and you can continue to sell :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! I think I need some packing peanuts! They're messy, but work well. I really think I have more fun selling things I make, though, because those are also fun to package!

      Delete