Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Parenthood, It Ain't Easy!


I shared this cartoon on my Facebook recently, because it really rang true with me.  Having children is both the best and worst thing I ever did.  Parenthood is the most frustrating and stressful thing, but it's also amazing and rewarding.  I've never ever loved anything as stupidly and wholeheartedly as I love my boys, but they drive me bonkers sometimes and they're turning my hair grey.  I suppose having kids is like the ultimate paradox.  The cartoon is from Hurrah For Gin and does a pretty good job of summing up a day I've had many times.  If you are already a parent, you will most certainly appreciate the posts on Hurrah For Gin.  If you are thinking of having children, let this site serve as a warning that you are getting yourselves into some serious shit.  It's totally worth it, believe me, but it's not for the weak or faint of heart.  I think that social media has put this new pressure on parents and has created this false sense of what it's really like to have children.  There are entire accounts dedicated to showing every perfect moment or perfect outfit or perfect nurseries and playrooms. They're all bullshit and I almost feel like I contribute to that bullshit when I post a photo of my boys doing some activity or on some family adventure.  Surely the messy house all around them has been cropped out and my caption doesn't mention the seven tantrums we experienced in the car ride or the fact that both boys were up in the middle of the night and I am going on very little sleep.  Okay, so I totally mention those things and I'm almost certain I've shared a few messes on Instagram, but you get what I'm saying.  These aren't things we talk about enough and that leads us to being extra tough on ourselves and other parents.  Moms especially seem prone to being just a tad judgmental of other moms.

I'm typing this post at 1am, because everyone is actually asleep and I've turned off the never ending loop of Diego that plays on the television in our bedroom.  I guess my point in writing this post is twofold.  One, I want to thank Hurrah For Gin for reminding me that I'm not alone in my feelings and frustrations.  Two, I want to remind all the other parents that it's okay if sometimes your house looks like a toy store threw up and your kids have eaten three packs of fruit snacks for lunch (true story). Life with kids is far from perfect, in that aspect.  Whatever you're doing to stay sane and keep your children relatively healthy (see previous lunch comment) and mostly happy (They will not be happy when you are teaching them lessons about sharing or respect, making them do homework, or yelling at them for the tenth time to clean up their room, but these things make them into decent adults, right?), though, is actually perfect.  Now pat yourself on the back, pour yourself a cup of coffee, and enjoy a few minutes of uninterrupted silence.  You know I'm kidding on that last one!

No comments:

Post a Comment