Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Easy Chocolate Cake


I found this recipe a few months ago here, while looking for a vegan dessert to take to dinner at a friend's house.  Her husband is vegan, so I wanted to bring something he could enjoy too.  It was pretty good and really moist.  I had intended on making an icing for it that time around, but ended up with a tub of store bought icing instead.  In the end, I didn't even have time to ice the cake, so I just took the icing along.  The cake was good without evening adding the icing!  This time around, I had Oscar helping and he wanted to add some extra goodies to the cake mix.  We added peanut butter and milk chocolate chips and marshmallows, which ended up getting all toasty and crispy on the top of the cake.  It was seriously delicious!!  Here's the basic recipe, but feel free to mix it up and add something extra!

  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c cocoa powder (I have added a bit more the two times I've made this.)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil
  • 1 c water
Sift together the dry ingredients.  Add in the wet ingredients and stir until everything is mixed together and the batter is smooth.  Pour batter into a lightly greased loaf or small cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Look at those toasty gooey marshmallows!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment