Sunday, June 2, 2013

More Exploring!

I guess this is my new hobby, photographing abandoned houses and buildings and being too afraid to go inside any of them!  To be fair, I was going to go in one of the cabins you'll see pictured below, but I heard someone or something walking nearby and ran back to the car!


These cabins have been vacant for as long as I can recall.  They are across the road from a park we take the boys pretty often and I've always wondered about them.  I was able to find this little bit of information online and am hoping to go back and explore these some more, preferably with a companion next time!








I'm not even sure if this building was a house or a barn, but all that's left is a bit of a shell.  It looks like there may have been a fire here at some point.  I hoisted myself up onto the wall in the last picture, hoping to see some clue of this building's past, but it was too overgrown to see anything.  The building in the third and fourth picture is an old stable and a good part of the interior was covered in sad graffiti.  The land surrounding this property is well maintained and used for farming, so perhaps this is the remains of an old farmhouse.

5 comments:

  1. Imagine all the memories those walls hold...hopes & dreams of countless generations... If only you could unlock the voices to tell those tales... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I am so curious about the history of all of the places I've been exploring. I am forever curious!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pics, it's so great to have some nice weather and get out and explore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you are enjoying some lovely weather as well!

      Delete
  3. Great pictures of cabins I admired from the road as a child (mid 70's - they were closed but in decent condition). The main lodge was a cool building that vanished a decade or more ago. Here is a link to a picture of the main lodge that stood to the left of a fruit stand that is still in place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_and_corner_wear/13339874234

    It looks like the area has gotten developed (per a map - is there a Lowes nearby?) It was very quiet business-wise in the 70's and 80's. The man-made lake across the road looks like it has recovered - did not look to good 30 year ago when swimming was banned.

    ReplyDelete