Monday, October 8, 2018

Musical Monday Returns

I thought about making a playlist of what I've been listening to lately, but really, it's the same stuff I was listening to when I last updated this blog and probably when I started this blog and possibly for the last ten or fifteen years.  I'm a creature of habit.  Instead I'm having a sad return to Musical Monday.  I'll try to make up for it with something lighter tomorrow.

I can't recall the last time I felt really emotional over the death of a musician.  It was probably Kurt Cobain and I think I cried when Jerry Garcia died, but that was more about never being able to experience another live Grateful Dead show.  I was also an overly-emotional teenager for both of those.  But the death of Scott Hutchison, the singer of Frightened Rabbit, earlier this year, hit me really hard.  I've been absolutely enthralled with Scott and his band since seeing them open for Death Cab For Cutie back in 2011.  We had no idea who they were at the time, but it was instant love and I came home from that show and downloaded all of their music and it's been on heavy rotation ever since.  There are a handful of bands who have gotten me through the dark/rough times, bands whose words I relate to and singers who feel like they're speaking right to me.  This is one of those bands.  He was one of those singers.  After his death, it became evident that he was one of those singers for so many of us.  This Pitchfork article probably explains it much more eloquently than I ever could.  So I'll leave you with that and a few of my favorite songs.




No comments:

Post a Comment